Pages

Thursday, 4 May 2017

BREATHTAKING

Hello Everyone!
Well I have my first DT blog post up on the FabScraps blog, you can check it out if you like and see all the other wonderful projects from the other DT ladies, so exciting :D
Here is my layout, I used the FabScraps - C94 My Fair Lady Collection for this page.


My journaling on the front of the layout says...

I can't believe that I am 61 already, how did that happen? Seems like just the other day that I was leaving school :O

My journaling on the back of the layouts says...

I just love this photo of me with London in the background, it kind of takes my breath away when I look at it, it often feels like a fairy tale and I can't help but feel so grateful that I am able to travel so much and get see so many wonderful places. When I think back to my parents they did next to no travelling, money was tight and my mom was so sick, plus they had four kids so it just wasn't an option for them. My mom and her sister did a trip to Greece, Italy and Spain for three weeks about a year before she died, and while I am so glad that she got to do it I have often wondered how she did it. I have read her diaries and they are just heartbreaking, she spent so much money going over there  and spent more days than not in her bed because she just couldn't do it. I don't think my dad ever left the African continent and if he did it was when he was fighting in WW2. So all of this just makes me realize how lucky I am that my life is so different to theirs.

That view behind me is literally breathtaking and I have been lucky enough to see many such sights that do that. I am grateful too that I have good health enough to enjoy it and I will never ever take one of my trips for granted. Every time I look at any of my travel photos and layouts I go right back to that place and time and I can live it all over again.

Here are a couple of close ups.


I did loads of layers and I also used the frame from the chipboard title which was painted silver and then tucked it between the layers. At the end I splattered some Tim Holtz distress spray in silver onto the layout.


I punched out a heart from silver card stock and fussy cut those little cameras and added them to the embellishment clusters.


The title was also painted with Tim Holtz distress paint in silver. That's it, all done!

I have been busy with a few layouts for my travel album which I am organizing by year - one layout per country that I have visited, my idea is that this is the album that people will want to look at to see my travels... all the other photos from each trip will be in add on albums... In theory this should work. My albums are a mess at the moment and there is layouts all over the place and now I am trying to consolidate so that anyone picking up an album will know exactly what is going on :D 

Here they are...


This layout is from my first trip overseas alone, well I went with a friend but not with Simon.  This day we went to the Lake District. January 2003.

My Journaling is in that little pocket with all the ephemera and it says...

I was so nervous going on this trip. I had all my ducks in a row but Mags is so dilly and I was worried that something would go wrong or we would miss a connection and I had never had to sort out all my bags alone - back then we were allowed 30 kgs each and I hadn't thought about humping that dam suitcase, plus a hand luggage, up and down stairs and in and out of buses and taxis alone. We stayed with Gary and Kath, Mags' brother and SIL at their little house in Manchester which was so small I could not get my case into the room, we all laughed so hard but we had a ball with them. They were so good to us and they took us to so many cool places, on this particular day we took a trip up to the lake district to Windermere Lake, and  then to the yacht club where they kept their boat "Hansa", we had lunch there, soup and fresh hot bread and it was so dam cold I thought I would never get warm again, until Kath told me to wear a beanie or a hat it keeps the cold out. LIFESAVER!

Here is a close up of that little pocket.


I think the idea for this came off Pinterest but it was posted in a group I belong to and I thought it was so pretty, it was easy to make and is perfect for holding ephemera.

This next layout is from another country during my trip to the UK with Mags. I flew to Ireland to go and visit my brother and his family who had immigrated some years before from Zimbabwe.


Although it was only two nights it was great to see them and of course we managed to get in some sightseeing at Kilkenny Castle and their beautiful gardens and grounds.

 

Here is my journaling for this layout.

The following year I was lucky enough to be able to go to Ireland and visit them again. This time for a week so we had more time to explore. One of the things we did was go to Achaboe Abbey in Laois, we explored, wandered around the town and found a lovely place to have lunch.


My journaling on the front of the layout says...


My journaling on the back says...

The best thing about visiting family in Ireland, apart from spending time with them, is that by now I have traveled almost every inch of Ireland and seen the most beautiful sights, been to some wonderful little towns, eaten awesome food and last but not least tasted loads of their beers. I would not trade my trips to Ireland for anything. I have been lucky enough to see my nephews grow up and seen my brother and his wife make a life for themselves in their new home.

Later on this same year we were lucky enough to go to the States.. We had three days in NYC at the end but in actual fact it was two full days and a half day but we managed to squeeze in a trip to Ellis Island to see the Statue of Liberty.


My jouranling on the front of the layout says...

It was a pity about our timing here because we didn't have enough time to get off the boat and go and explore Ellis Island. That will have to wait for another visit and we will be back for sure.

My Journaling on the back of the layouts says...

We loved America and we absolutely loved NYC. So busy and noisy and so much to see and do and just not enough time. It was great to get on the boat to Ellis Island and be able to see the NYC Skyline. This place is just so huge. Lady Liberty was everything I imagined and more. I am so glad that I got to see it and I can't wait to go back again one day.


I kept our ticket from the boat ride and used them on this layout in two places one here as the ticket and then again on the opposite page but I flipped them over and you can see the statue of liberty.

2005 and another trip to Ireland to see my family :D


My journaling which is in the little glassine bag says...

This trip we spent the weekend in Blarney. We arrived on Friday afternoon and wandered around the shops, had tea and scones at the tea shop and bought a few lovely bits to bring home. Their linen and woolen stuff was so beautiful, I even manage to get some Christmas decorations. We stayed at the Blarney hotel which is at Blarney Woolen Mill and Castle and it was such a beautiful hotel, one where you still had to dress up a bit for dinner. The next day we went off to explore the castle and grounds and it was so beautiful. We climbed up to the top of the Castle and I was able to kiss the stone... Yes I did it but I was terrified. The gap down is quite big and the guy looked like he wouldn't be able to save me if I slipped through, but I did it and I survived and I reckon I got my lot of Irish luck.

Here is a closeup of the glassine bag. I found a tutorial to make these on youtube somewhere and for the life of me I can't find it again. It was so easy and it looks so pretty. Nice thing is you can make them any size you like.


November 2005 and we took a trip to Mocambique for our 28th Anniversary. 


Here is my journalling.


Our next trip in 2006 was to England and Ireland. I have an aunt who then lived in the UK and my brother in Ireland. This is a DT layout and so I can't share the layout but here is a sneaky peaky of the journaling.


After UK and on to Ireland and a day spent in Kilmore Quay.


My journaling on the layout says...

I am so grateful that I get to travel and that I have been to so many fabulous places. Still one of the most beautiful places is Ireland, I never tire of the greenness, the quaint little towns and villages, each with it's own particular attractions. We spent a lovely day exploring Kilmore Quay which is a fishing village and also has a maritime museum and holds a seafood festival once a year. They also have a little memorial garden for all the fishermen lost at sea. I loved all the boats and this quaint little town of just over 400 people. Had the best lunch at one of the little pubs.

My next trip was to UK and Ireland again :D


I stayed with my aunt in a place call Taunton and we took a day trip to Torquay a beautiful little seaside town, we shopped, took loads of photos and had lunch in a quaint little place called Camelot.

My journaling is on the layout and says...


This was taken after she was diagnosed with cancer and holds precious memories for me as we didn't have a lot of time together after this. Not nearly as much as I would have liked. I miss her so much.

Lucky you this is the end of this post. The end of my first album and now I will continue with the next. 

THANKYOU for stopping by to take a look and if you read this post - big ups to you too :D

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!




Hugs
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Goodness these pages look amazing, so many photos to detail and journal about.. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Val, this is so inspiring. I am working on my travel albums, too, and about time I focus on the journaling. Thank you for the inspiration. Your layouts are just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This is awesome Val!! Your page for Fabscraps is stunning .. absolutely gorgeous photo and fabulous layers!! Your travel album is amazing. Beautiful pages and amazing stories. Can imagine you and your family sitting together going over these in years to come .. what wonderful memories to share. Thoroughly enjoyed this post .. so inspirational!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your FabScraps DT page is beautiful and I love the design and soft colours! Congrats...;-) Loving all your travel pages too....so great that you are documenting all your travels...a definite keepsake! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I look, and read, through all of your wonderfully detailed trips abroad, I can't help but think how much my life is boring. You truly are very lucky and it's nice to see that you realise that.

    I love every single layout. They are all different but still all have a similar look to them. It will make for a beautiful album. Love the different envelopes that hold lots of ephemeras from your trips. Everyone of them holds a memory of its own, I'm sure. And, I can see why you love that photo of you with the London skyline in the background. It's a great shot. Thank you for taking us along your travel journey. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your layout for FabScraps is just Joyous, you in love with life and travel, in the beautiful city of London. Then all the other places you've been lucky enough to visit, they bring back such happy memories of my own travels, especially the ones of Ireland. We are fortunate to have explored the places of our ancestors, to walk were they walked and to inhale the same air, is a privilege and an honour. "Sigh" Where are my boots and my backpack?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome lo of your trip :) I love each travel lo you showed here. Such precious memories to tresure! My father in law was the forman on the crew that refurbished Lady Liberty for her bicentennial birthday. He has some great pics along with pieces from her.

    Thanks for sharing such great lo's and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. I am getting some great ideas from your travel LO's xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Valerie! All of your layouts are fabulous! Thanks for sharing your journey with us! You sure do look breathtaking on that layout with London as the backdrop! Time sure flies when we are busy having fun! Thank you for sharing your creativity with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning designs Valerie. Adore your creative style and the layering techniques you use.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the Fab Scraps gig Val, I love their gorgeous papers. Beautiful layout of you with London in the background, and I agree it's a bit rude age creeps up on us . Love all your travel pages and it is true it takes you right back to when you were there. Love the little envelopes you created and wonderful journalling
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely album. Full of precious memories. I need to scrap more. That was the plan for this year and I am getting nowhere fast... Next month is June... need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Val what amazing adventures you've had and what fabulous pages to remember them by!! My first honeymoon was a wet weekend in Torquay and that's also where the fictional hotel Fawlty Towers was run by John Cleese as BAsil Fawlty :)
    Love all your little personal touches, like the hand made ephemera envelopes - they look so cool.

    ReplyDelete